Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gus Makes a Bad Day Good

This morning didn't start out so well. Sam didn't want to get dressed for school and Gus didn't want to do anything but distract Sam. By the time we got out the door a half-hour late, we were all frazzled to say the least. In the driveway Sam refused to get in the car and Gus was spinning circles in the -- to make himself dizzy. It worked because he fell. Flat on his face. Poor guy emerged from the rocks with cuts and scrapes all around his eye. He was fine, but mad as a hornet. Finally we got Sam to school and instead of going to the park to run like we normally do, I decided I'd take Gus and my bad mood home. I hoped Gus would play quietly while I took a break. Gus loves to be the only kid home and have free access to the toys. I got him settled with some golf clubs and a ball and found myself a fudgesicle in the freezer and sat down on the couch to enjoy the fudgesicle and the (relative) quiet. I zoned out until pretty soon Gus was standing in front of me saying "Bite? Bite?" with the sweetest, most hopeful look in his eye. So, what could I do, but share my fudgesicle. He stood there enjoying the fudgesicle and between each lick he said, "Bite?" At one point he said, "All gone" and walked away. But instead of walking all the way away he walked around the coffee table to the other side of me and climbed up on the couch and backed himself in to sitting right up against me. He looked up at me and said, "Kiss" and gave me a big, fudgesicle smooch, smiled and said, "Bite?"
I couldn't help but laugh. I kissed his sweet curly-haired head and felt the bad day turn good.

No comments: